Upon reading Kallis' reflection, I thought about which things which I consume, and asked myself where do they come from? Last weekend at the farmers market I purchased a whole bunch of Keremeos fruits and local veggies, but it cost me an arm and a leg. I felt great about it, and dinner that night was noticeably fresher. I enjoyed speaking with the farmers about their work, routines, and the common interests we shared being in Squamish. I'd like to think that on a day-to-day I embody this principle to some extent, but really I could take it so much further. I hate ordering things on the internet, and have actually never ordered anything on amazon in my life! I much prefer to drive around town visiting different shops until I can find what I need. If I need a specialty tool, I'll order it in at the local Rona, where I have an account. Even though they're a big chain, I feel somewhat better about supporting the one in town.
I really look forward to the braiding class. I found it fascinating that the geometry was what played the biggest role in rope making. As a climber, I spend lots of time using different knots for various purposes. Factors I consider are the bending moments, redundancy, and multi-directional strength (how many ways can you load a knot?). I was thinking I'll bring an old piece of climbing rope in to have a look at in class as well. On the topic of making things by hand, small woodworking projects are a passion of mine. Climbers use these little brushes to clean the chalk and dirt off of the holds, and for a time I was making these and selling them or giving them away to friends. I use
d a spoke shave, Dremel, and boar bristles recycled off of other brushes.
No comments:
Post a Comment